Changes Effective July 1, 2013
In the 2012 - 2015 NASA Collective Agreement, changes were made to Part A Article 16, Part B Article 8 and Part C Article 12 to introduce a new method of granting vacation entitlements to NASA staff. While the total amount of vacation entitlement remains the same, the method that Human Resource Services uses to grant and record the entitlement has changed.
In general, the following changes were implemented effective July 1, 2013.
- Vacation entitlement amounts will be credited after each pay is processed based on hours of service during the pay period. Employees will earn vacation according to the formulas defined within the appendices in each part of the collective agreement based on the amount of service the employee has at the end of each pay period. If an employee changes a service level during a pay period, the amount of service at the end of pay period will determine the earning rate for the entire pay period.
- Total annual entitlements will not change. Employees earning 3, 4, 5 or 6 weeks of vacation per year will continue to do so.
- Vacation will be credited at the end of each pay period rather than being advanced at the beginning of the month as was the prior practice. As a result, pro-rated entitlements for partial months worked will no longer be necessary.
- The vacation year as defined in the agreement will remain April 1 but the vacation carry forward year shown within PeopleSoft and to employees in Bear Tracks will change to January 1 beginning in 2014. Vacation balances as of December 31, 2013 will be the carry forward balance in January 2014.
- Vacation accrual will be run on the night of each semi-monthly pay confirm. New entitlements are granted and employees’ vacation balances will be updated after each leave accrual.
Part A Operating: Appendices J & K
Part B Trust: Appendices F & G
Part C ESL: Appendices F & G
What Changes Will I See?
Vacation balances within PeopleSoft HCM will only be updated each pay period. New employees will not have any vacation granted until the first pay period confirm after they have started. Existing employees will be credited vacation at the end of each pay period based on the service hours in the period.
If you are reconciling vacation for terminating employees, please note the date of the last accrual. Any hours worked in the current pay period may still have a vacation entitlement to be calculated in the last leave accrual.
If you are entering vacation for employees with concurrent jobs, you may temporarily encounter issues accessing the timesheets for all concurrent appointments. Our technical group is working on this issue and will resolve it as soon as possible. If you have any issues, please contact your Payroll Advisor and they will assist you.
What Changes Will Employees See?
When employees sign into their U of A Bear Tracks (Self-Service) accounts athttps://beartracks.ualberta.ca with their CCID and password, they will see their vacation accruals change after each pay period. The days reporting during the period will be reflected in their balance after the payroll confirmation. Vacation balances on the Vacation History page will now display six decimal places.
For more information about the changes to vacation accruals and how vacation is calculated and reconciled, please contact Payroll Operations at 780-492-4555, Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or by email at Payroll.Operations@ualberta.ca.