The language added to Part A - Appendix L, Part B - Appendix F and Part C - Appendix H changes the timing of leave reinstatement for eligible NASA employees. While the total amount of leave entitlement remains the same, entitlement renewals previously based on an employee’s service date or set number of hours worked (e.g. 1707), will now change to the beginning of each calendar year. Some types of employees will now earn on an hour-per-hour basis rather than at the end of a specified number of hours. Specific entitlement earning rates and conditions are identified within the Appendices of the 2012-2015 NASA agreement.
In general, the following changes will be implemented effective January 1, 2014.
- The illness year is now defined using the calendar year (January 1 to December 31). Within PeopleSoft HCM leave accrual, earned year-to-date and taken year-to-date and current balances for Illness and Special Leave are reflective of January 1 to the current leave accrual period.
- All illness and special leave entitlements will renew effective January 1 of each calendar year. For employees who start employment or become eligible for illness/special leave during the calendar year, their first entitlement will be granted at the completion of their first pay period in that year. For example, an employee begins employment in a regular continuing NASA appointment on September 1, 2014. Their annual illness and special leave entitlements will be granted on September 15, 2014. Their leave will then be reinstated on January 1, 2015.
- Employees actively on illness leave at the end of a calendar year will not renew entitlement until they return to work for 10 consecutive days.
- Casual Level II, Regular Trust and Auxiliary Trust (with less than one years service) will earn illness entitlements on an hour per hour basis at a rate of 0.049296 hrs for each hour of regular time worked. ISS employees will also earn on an hour per hour basis.
- Within PeopleSoft HCM, the former Personal (Casual) leave plan type 52 has been amalgamated into the Illness leave plan type 50. All illness leave will now be tracked under Plan Type 50 (Sick). Employees will still have access to casual illness to a maximum of 10 days per calendar year as defined in the agreement however balances shown within the system will be included with the Sick Leave plan balance.
- For part-time employees or those that move from part-time to full-time during the year, their leave balances will be prorated and adjusted automatically to reflect the employee’s proper entitlement. Adjustments are shown on the Leave Accrual Distributed Access page within PeopleSoft HCM.
- Leave accruals are run on the night of each semi-monthly pay confirm. New entitlements are granted and employees’ balances are updated after each leave accrual only.
For more information about the changes to accruals please contact your Employment and Pay Advisor or call 780-492-4555, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.