Each faculty and department is responsible for managing employee vacation balances for their area. To achieve effective vacation management HRS advises managers to take the following steps:
Support Staff Employees (see UAPPOL Managing Staff Vacation Procedure - Support Staff)
- Track and report vacation using HCM PeopleSoft as soon as the employee returns from their scheduled vacation.
- If you supervise an employee with a balance of over one year's vacation accrual take immediate action to develop a vacation plan to address the liability.
- Request that your employee(s) submit an annual vacation plan for review and discussion.
- No more than one year’s vacation entitlement should be accrued at any time. If rare circumstances support a carry-forward, these should be clearly documented and agreed to by both the manager and employee.
- Documentation should include a plan to use the entire accrual during the next year.
APOs and Librarians
- Develop an internal mechanism to track and review balances twice each year (June and January are the recommended times).
- Request that your employee(s) submit an annual vacation plan to be reviewed during their annual review.
- Minimal vacation entitlement should be carried forward from one year to the next. Carry-forward must be approved in advance and in writing by the Vice-President or Chief Librarian.