Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Inviting Foreign Visitors: Process Changes

Immigration Services, Human Resource Services has implemented changes in how the International Mobility Program (IMP) will be handled to create efficiencies and reduce the administrative burden for the campus community.

Effective immediately, host department/units will not be required to submit a Foreign Visitor Category Assessment for certain categories of foreign visitors. These categories are interviewees, guest speakers, conference/workshop/seminar participants, foreign delegates, academic evaluators and academic examiners. For these visitors, the U of A host department/unit will complete the appropriate invitation letter; send it to the foreign visitor and send a copy to Immigration Services via email. For a complete description of these visitor categories, please visit the International Mobility Program Exemptions webpage on the Human Resource Services website.

Also effective immediately, when a host department/unit submits a Foreign Visitor Category Assessment form to Immigration Services, it is no longer necessary to include credit card information. Instead, the host department/unit will record a speed code and account number on the Foreign Visitor Category Assessment (FVCA) form. Immigration Services will pay the Employer Compliance Fee and submit the needed documentation to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The Employer Compliance Fee will then be charged back to the department/unit using the speed code provided. The revised FVCA form is available on theInviting Foreign Visitor webpage on the Human Resource Services website.

In response to questions from the university community, the HRS Immigration website now includes a Frequently Asked Questions webpage for the IMP process.

Human Resource Services thanks you for your patience as we continue to adapt to changes in federal immigration programs. We encourage university hosts to regularly check theImmigration webpage on the Human Resource Services website for the latest immigration-related information.

If you have questions, please contact