6.07.3 A staff member shall be provided with full University library privileges, with the termination date of such privileges to be the later of the termination date of the staff member’s contract of appointment or the next following September 30.
Given changes to technology and licensing of online library content, the University and the AASUA determined that this article required interpretation and, consequently, a Memorandum of Understanding has been completed. That full document is attached and a brief outline is provided below:
With respect to Borrowing Privileges:
- Any individual having at least one CAS:T contract within a 14-month period, will be automatically renewed for another 14-month period of borrowing privileges (with 4-month loans).
- Staff who have not had a CAS:T contract in the previous 14-months (including first-time CAS:T staff), will gain their 4-month borrowing privileges on the official start date of their next contract. Prior to that date, they may sign up for a free public borrowing card with 2-week loans.
- Access from On-Campus: All University staff, and members of the public, are able to access this content using either the University Wireless Service, or University Libraries (public) workstations within the Libraries.
- Access from Off-Campus: For CAS:T instructors who repeatedly teach in every Fall and Winter term, access will be continuous. For other staff, this access will last from 8-14 months. For details, refer to chart in the attachment.
CHANGES IN PRACTICE for DEPARTMENTS:
- For INITIAL and RECURRING HIRES, Departments will need to ensure that the Instructor relationship is entered into Campus Solutions as soon as possible and, whenever possible, prior to July 1st.
- For INITIAL HIRES, in order to enter an individual as an Instructor, Departments will need to first complete the “Create New Person ID Form” as a “Pre-Hire” to allow the creation of a Person ID and CCID.
- For INITIAL HIRES, Departments should advise them of the expected date of their access from off-campus to Licensed Online Library Content.
CHANGE IN PRACTICE for FUTURE STAFF:
In a pre-hire situation an individual, with no record in the University Libraries system, may obtain an External Borrowers’ Card (free of charge) with a 2-week loan period from any University Libraries service desk upon presentation of valid ID (picture ID and proof of current address). Departments should advise pre-hires of these borrowing privileges.
CHANGE IN PRACTICE for FORMER STAFF:
After the 14 month access period ends, a former staff member may obtain an External Borrowers’ Card (free of charge) with a 2-week loan period from any University Libraries service desk upon presentation of valid ID (picture ID and proof of current address).
If you have any questions, please contact:
Acting Senior Membership Services Officer, AASUA
firstname.lastname@example.org | PH: 492-2779
Special Advisor, Faculty and Staff Relations
Donna.email@example.com | PH: 492-8690
Associate University Librarian
Sandra.firstname.lastname@example.org | PH: 492-6456