Monday, 17 August 2015

Foreign Nationals Travelling Over the Winter Break

While winter break seems far off, in immigration time it's just around the corner! Foreign nationals whose immigration status will expire in the next few months will need to factor in Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s current 112 day processing time for a work permit. Any foreign national travelling over the holidays will need to have their work permit (or study permit) in hand prior to departure.

Foreign nationals must apply to extend their period of authorized stay prior to the expiry date on their work or study permit. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended and they are considered to have implied status as a temporary resident and can continue working until a decision is made. However it is important to note that implied status expires if the foreign national leaves Canada.

A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may (without guarantee) be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application, ONLY if they are visa exempt or on a valid multiple-entry visa. HOWEVER, they may NOT resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted.

To avoid unnecessary hardship, please prepare and submit the necessary forms as soon as possible to allow Immigration Services to generate the documents the foreign national will require to apply for their work permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not expedite processing, nor is our office able to facilitate the entry of foreign nationals into Canada without the proper documentation.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact