Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Mandatory Immigration Documentation Requirements

For the past year, Immigration Services has asked that foreign nationals hold valid electronic travel authorizations (eTA's) or visitor visas (TRV's) before entering or re-entering Canada for any reason. As of September 29, 2016, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will make this requirement mandatory.

One year ago Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced that it will become mandatory for most foreign nationals to have either an eTA or a TRV before entering Canada. To prepare for this change, Immigration Services notified the university community and updated our website and invitation templates to include this information. Although immigration authorities initially permitted a leniency period regarding this requirement, soon IRCC will make this requirement mandatory.

Affected foreign nationals should ensure they possess an eTA or TRV before September 29, 2016. For information on who this applies to and how to obtain the necessary documents, visit the Entering and Re-entering Canada webpage.