- If an employee commenced employment on April 1, 2016, and took no vacation in their first year of employment, they would have 15 days vacation accrued at the end of year 1 (March 31, 2017).
- At the beginning of year 2, the 15 days accrued will not be considered “vacation carryover” because the days accrued in year 1 are for use in year 2.
- During year 2, the employee should plan to use these 15 days of vacation and may also choose to use any vacation days that are accrued in year 2.
- If the employee uses only 10 days vacation in year 2 they will have 20 days in their vacation bank at the end of year 2 (5 days remaining from year 1, and 15 days accrued in year 2).
- Approval to carry over the 5 days would be required.
- The 15 days accrued in year 2 would not be considered vacation carryover because they are earned in year 2 for use in year 3.
If you have any questions about vacation carryover, please contact your Human Resource Partner.