Thursday, 15 March 2018

Separate Cheques for Student Awards, Scholarships and Fellowships

As a follow up to the HCM Production Notice sent March 1, 2018, starting with the pay period of February 16 – 28, 2018, students who have more than one appointment with taxable earnings and also receive a separate scholarship, award or bursary payment will now see two pay cheques. A separate payment for each cheque will be sent to the bank resulting in two bank deposits.

The separate payment will address approximately 93% of the GL distribution problems associated with student payments. The remaining 7% will require an alternative solution which is currently being reviewed. 

Users who complete SBA transactions will continue to see payments in the search record separated by the employee records, but will now see additional payments where the employee record has a separate payment for scholarship, fellowship or awards payments. This change will not address transactions for benefits/tax distribution posted prior to the implementation date noted above. Faculties and departments will need to continue with the interim workaround using SBAs to resolve distribution errors or, where necessary, request that HR process the adjustments on their behalf.

Please direct any students to the [Quick Reference Guide] that has been created should they have any questions. 

If you require further information, please contact payroll.operations@ualberta.ca or your Payroll Assistant.