Thursday, 10 May 2018

HRS Information Session - May 2018 Materials

HRS hosted an online information session in the first week of May for HR practitioners on campus. Thank you to everyone who attended. We recorded the session for those who weren't able to attend and have compiled answers to questions that came up during the session.

The recording of the May 2018 HRS Information Session can be accessed through the following link:

You can also view the May 2018 HRS Information Session PowerPoint presentation.

Questions & Answers

Immigration Services

Does the 15 to 30 day work permit exemption include someone who is already here, and we wish to extend for a short period of time?

Global Skills Strategy 15, 30 and 120 Day work permit exemption applies only to foreign nationals outside of Canada.

What is meant by “consecutive days”?

Consecutive days means calendar days, followed in sequential order and includes weekends and holidays. When referring to 120 consecutive days, that means counting 120 days from the time the person arrives in Canada regardless if that person has worked or not worked. An example of 15 consecutive days is arriving on May 1 and counting the days to May 15.

If a foreign national leaves Canada and then returns after July 31, will biometrics be required?

If the foreign national holds a valid visa to re-enter Canada (has multiple entry visa which is still valid upon their return to Canada), then they do not need to do biometrics until such time as they require a new visa to re-enter Canada. As well since this service is not available at this time inside Canada, should the foreign national be applying from inside Canada, then they would not need biometrics.

If the foreign national is from Europe, the Middle East or Africa, depending on their requirement for a visa, work permit or study permit, they will require biometrics if applying from outside of Canada. Applicants from Asia, Asia Pacific and the Americas will require biometrics starting December 31, 2018. Foreign nationals who are currently on campus at the time the biometrics requirement takes effect are currently exempt, however, this may change at any time.

Does the biometrics requirement include visiting speakers or just those coming to do work?

If the foreign national requires a visa to enter Canada, then yes, they will be required to have biometrics done. If the foreign national does not require a visa to enter Canada and does not require a work permit, they will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) except those exempt from an eTA.

Will job applicants require biometrics?

If the question pertains to foreign nationals coming to Canada for a short period for a job interview, and they require a visa to enter Canada, they will be required to do their biometrics. If they are from a non visa country they will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), except those exempt from an eTA.

In general, the biometrics requirement applies to a foreign national coming to Canada from one of the named countries who is applying for a visitor visa, study or work permit or permanent residence outside of Canada. Those who are eligible to apply for a work permit at the port of entry (border) will be able to do biometrics at the airport.

Conflict of Interest for Employment

Does the Conflict of Interest for Employment include hiring of casuals?

Yes. The Conflict of Interest for Employment Procedure Policy applies to all staffing categories and includes students.

Business Services

If a student has a GRAF and a GTA appointment at the same time do they receive 1 or 2 pay cheques?

They will receive two pay cheques.

How can I access the PeopleSoft HCM Community Update site?

The following is a link to the PeopleSoft HCM Community Update site. We recommend including it as one of your favorites for easy access as the site will be updated on a monthly basis. You can also access the site on the HRS website under Managing and Administration/ Quick Links/PeopleSoft HCM Community Update

Is a query available that shows how a Department Budget table appears in HCM?

At this time, there is not a specific query that can be run to show your department budget table set up for the department. We have recently made some changes to the DBT set up (refer to IST production notice of May 5, 2018), with this change we will review options to provide a report to show set up of earnings and distributions on DBT

Am I able to pull a report for non-paid people, such as adjuncts?

Yes. You can run the POI Planned Exit date Report in PeopleSoft by POI type:

There seems to be some issues with the department budget table as a common link. Is a fix in progress?

We have recently implemented changes to eForms and DBT (please refer to IST Production Notice sent out on May 5, 2018). If you are experiencing issues with DBT , please log a ticket with IST and also refer to the HCM site for most recent updates.

Are there any countries that UAlberta has a tax arrangement with?

The University of Alberta does not have a tax arrangement with any country. The tax agreements reside between Canada and the countries that Canada has a tax treaty with. Each country has their own agreement with Canada and Canada’s regulations are applied in the Income Tax Act. An employee must apply to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to request a tax exemption and the exemption will be dependent on the agreement between Canada and the inquiring country.