Thursday, 6 December 2018

SIN/Work Permit Updates

The University of Alberta is legislatively required to collect SIN numbers and submit them to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for tax reporting purposes. If we do not properly collect and submit SINs, the university could face substantial fines from the Federal Government. Please remind staff and students to contact Human Resource Services (HRS) to update SIN numbers.

Valid work/study permits are a mandatory condition of employment. It is not permissible to work with an expired work/study permit. Loss of your eligibility for employment in Canada or a failure to provide confirmation of your eligibility for employment in Canada (i.e. work permit and/or permanent or temporary residence visa) will render an appointment null and void. HRS will stop all payments due or payable to an employee without proof of valid work/study permit.